Scenes From The Violent Protest Scenes From The Violent Protest

Over Jestina Taylor’s Release Police, Angry Protesters Clash

Following hours of mounting pressure from angry protesters Thursday, October 3, 2019, Madam Jestina Taylor has been officially released from the St. Joseph’s Catholic Hospital.

The St. Joseph's Catholic Hospital, which issituated in Congo Town, outside Monrovia, is  a Christian-run hospital which was established in 1963. It serves everyone around the community in Liberia.

It is still unclear on whose permission and or medical order she was released.

However, she was seen waving to the protesters after their intervention to stage a protest for her release early yesterday morning.

Madam Taylor was subsequently escorted to the Headquarters of the Independent National Commission on Human Rights, but up to press time, the Heritage could not speak with Madam Taylor regarding her plight, which has claimed huge public attention.

Madam Taylor has over the period been undergoing medical treatment at the St. Joseph’s Catholic Hospital with heavy Police presence after she alleged of death threat on her life by some unknown officials of government.
It followed a social media post from her months ago linking the government to insecurity presence on her life including her family.

According to the protesters, Jestina was allegedly ganged raped by unknown individuals who weresupposedly sentby some senior ranking officials of government, an allegation the Heritage is yet to independently verify.

Accordingly, the protest, which started from the St. Joseph Catholic Hospital in Congo Town, later extended to the Old Road Junction around the Nigeria House / Embassy.

“We will not leave the street until our demands are met, We will sleep here, stay here and ensure Jestina is released,” said Noah Gibson, one of the protesters, a visually impaired man.

According to them, they came peacefully, but it later turned to stone throwing episode as protesters and police were seen exchanging missiles in a drive to create the free flow of traffic, while the protesters were on the other hand on the defensive provoking the police to splash more water on them as they continue with their stone throw on the officers who were so far tolerant with them.

The situation caused residents in the Sophie and Catholic Community to stay indoors while several businesses were packed and some destroyed.

The angry protesters, mainly young people, used rocks, zinc, planks,grass, bar-wires, ladders and other dangerous weapons to block the main street there-by preventing the free movement of people for several hours.

They were also seen holding placards and singing political songs, “We want Justice and the immediate release of Jestina Taylor,” they intoned.

The protest came barely a week after President George Manneh Weah addressed the United Nations General Assembly and raised the issue of continuous protests in his country, despite effort by his Government to help address the core and fundamental issues of the People.

According to medical sources, who were begged not to be named, Jestina will need foreign treatment to ensure she is properly well in health.

It can be recalled that recently, Police Spokesman, Mr. Moses Carter, clarified media reports that the Government was not after the life of Jestina and that they were investigating some of the claims she had made against the government, something that prompted huge security presence at the hospital to ensure that she was protected while undergoing her treatment.

Though the protesters’ mission for the release of Jestina was accomplished, circumstances leading to her episode is still unresolved.


Read 772 times Last modified on Monday, 07 October 2019 18:33
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Login to post comments