The Late Wulah Massaquoi The Late Wulah Massaquoi

GoL 72-Hour Ultimatum To Turn Over Body

PAYNESVILLE, LIBERIA - Family members of the late Wulah Massaquoi believed to be in his early thirties are demanding the Government of Liberia (GoL) via the Liberia National Police (LNP) and the Ministry of Health (MoH)  to turnover their son’s body to them within a period of 72 hours or risk legal action.

In pain and tears, two senior members of the family speaking to reporters on Wednesday, July 29, 2020 alleged that their brother was murdered in cold blood in the Peace Home Community in Paynesville, outside Monrovia.

“We did not see our brother since Friday, July 24, 2020, but only to hear his death news on Sunday, July 26, 2020, this is so sad,” they told reporters. According to Korpo Massaquoi, a sister to the deceased, when the death news broke out, they horribly rushed to the scene, but did not see the body rather blood steam around the area where he was allegedly and gruesomely murdered.

According to them, the police’s efforts in collaboration with the family led to arrest of one of the suspects who was caught in possession with the deceased ID Card. She narrated that due to the alleged decay of the body according to the police, he was quickly buried by the health burial team at Disco Hill in Lower Margibi County though they still have doubts about said  information from the police commander at the Omega Depot.

“ We want to see the body of our son and brother,” they demanded, saying it is the only way they will believe what the police depot commander told them. Additionally, one of the brothers of the late Wulah, Peter Massaquoi is also demanding an autopsy to be conducted on Wulah’s body to know the actual cause of death of his brother,warning that if that is not done, they will seek legal redress within 72-hour time.

According to him, swift intervention is what they need in order to address their situation. The aggrieved family members argued that why will their son’s body be buried in a very short period without their notice neither the prescribed three-day period rather in just two days, though they were informed by police authorities and the health team that the body was decaying and needed to be buried to avoid further health hazard to other inhabitants within the community where the body was found lying death.

“ We are shocked and this is a blow to us,” they lamented. Wulah, according to reports, was a quiet man and a motorcyclist who went in search of his missing bike for days prior to his death. It is still unclear what and who killed him, but the family members, who are now nursing their mourning wounds, are requesting an autopsy to know the actual cause of death of their son and to ensure that justice is served.


Read 243 times Last modified on Friday, 31 July 2020 02:29
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Login to post comments